Ryan Boatright expects a lot of UConn fans - his family and friends - when the Huskies play at…
UConn's Second Half Spurt Defeats DePaul
"I thought that in the first half, we made it reasonably difficult on UConn," said DePaul coach Oliver Purnell. "That needed to be our recipe for winning the game, but clearly it was different totally in the second half."
Connecticut (19-7, 9-5) guard Shabazz Napier led all scorers with 28 points including 17 points in the second half.
"The second half we gave up wide open shots and they're a really good perimeter shooting team," Purnell said. "We've got to contest the shots that they take."
East Aurora guard Ryan Boatright and freshman guard Omar Calhoun chipped in with 17 points apiece.
"We just got back to our principles in the second half," said Connecticut coach Kevin Ollie. "We got back to who we are."
Junior forward Cleveland Melvin led the Demons with a double-double of 20 points and 10 rebounds.
"We wanted to slow down Napier and Boatright and get stops and be patient on offense," said Melvin. "It definitely was working in the first half. We kind of let that go in the second half and their guards came up with big plays."
Brandon Young contributed with 13 points for DePaul. Senior guard Worrel Clahar scored 10 points and dished out seven assists.
Next up DePaul welcomes the Louisville Cardinals to Allstate Arena on Wednesday night.
- Saturday is the 11th meeting between the two programs... Connecticut leads the series, 10-1, with a nine-game winning streak.
- The loss was the first this season when DePaul was leading at halftime... the Blue Demons are 8-1 when leading at halftime this season.
- Cleveland Melvin moved into 17th on DePaul's all-time scoring list... he recorded his seventh double-double of the season and 14th of his career.
- Brandon Young reached double-figures for the 25th time this season.
- Worrel Clahar reached double-figures for the ninth time this season and the fourth time in the last six games.
WeAreDePaul.com Recommended Stories
Dr. Roto Video: Waiver Wire Wednesday
Dr. Roto believes Miami Dolphins WR Jarvis Landry will overtake WR Brian Hartline as the team's No. 2 receiver sooner rather than later. Stay ahead of the curve with Dr. Roto!Read More
Giants Strike First In Game One Rout
The San Francisco Giants came out swinging in Game One of the 2014 World Series, scoring three times in the first inning and never looking back.Read More
Three of earth’s best ingredients combined into one succulent strip. Tailgaters will bow in appreciation.Read More
National Anthem Played with a Gun!
Musical targets? Yes, this guy plays the national anthem while shooting musical targets.Read More
Late Season Eastern Steel
NAFC friend, Frank Scalish, is best known for his achievements as a professional bass fisherman, but when the weather cools, the tourneys are over and the last bass has been weighed, he dons waders,…Read More