CHICAGO - This year's DePaul women's basketball team is quickly becoming a case of "it is what it…
St. John's Holds on for 2nd Half Win
"DePaul continues to fight, scratch, and claw, they are going to go on runs," said Red Storm coach Steve Lavin. "I knew they were going to make a run at us. DePaul continued to fight, they were opportunistic, they got some steals, some turnovers, some stops and made some big shots."
It was a sloppy affair with both teams turning the ball over 18 times.
"Our turnovers really hurt us throughout the game," said DePaul coach Oliver Purnell. "On a couple of opportunities, we had them cough it up to us, only to give it right back to them. 34% of their scores came just from our turnovers."
The Blue Demons shot five of 25 from behind the arc today which was not what Purnell wanted.
"The other glaring area was our three point shooting," said Purnell. "I thought that we took far too many of them and obviously didn't get enough. We needed to go inside more and get fouled."
DePaul point guard Brandon Young turned in a subpar performance today. Young turned the ball over seven times to three assists. Brandon finished with just six points on just two of 11 shooting from the field and went zero for five from beyond the arc. Young did manage to corral 10 rebounds for a career high.
Sophomore Jamee Crockett led all scorers with 19 points including back-to-back three pointers down the stretch. Junior forward Cleveland Melvin scored 16 and grabbed eight rebounds.
St. John's had four players finish in double-figures. Jamal Branch led the way for the Red Storm with18 points. D'Angelo Harrison scored 15 points. While Sir'Dominic Pointer contributed with 14 points and Jakarr Sampson added 10.
DePaul now has a week off before travelling to Pittsburgh next Saturday. They also have a rematch with St. John's looming on the 30th.
- Stevenson High School sophomore point guard Jalen Brunson attended today's game. After the game, Brunson picked up a scholarship offer from DePaul coach Oliver Purnell. Brunson also has offers from Illinois, Purdue, SMU and Xavier. Brunson is the son of former Temple star Rick Brunson.
- Former Blue Demons Stanley Brundy and Terence Greene are being inducted into the DePaul Hall of Fame again this weekend.
- St. John's leads the all-time series by a 16-14 margin... the Red Storm has won seven straight games in the series.
- A three-pointer by Moses Morgan in the first half extended DePaul's streak to 597 straight games with a three.
- Brandon Young set a new career high in rebounds with 10 boards... previous career best was six rebounds on four occasions.
- Cleveland Melvin moved into 24th place on DePaul's all-time scoring list... he entered the game needing six points to pass Joey Meyer (1968-71, 1,233 pts.).
WeAreDePaul.com Recommended Stories
Daily Dr. Roto: The Percy Harvin Trade
The Seattle Seahawks boldly trade away their top receiver to a team not exactly known for making the most of the firepower already on their rosters. The Jets have their hands full here. WR Percy…Read More
NFL Week 7: Previews & Predictions
Our staff breaks down every game this week with insider info.Read More
WVU Upsets No. 4 Baylor
The third time was definitely the charm for West Virginia.Read More
Week 7: Fantasy Football Weekly
The internet is buzzing about our new Fantasy Football Weekly column! Here we recap all the noteworthy news from the past week to get you caught up. Everything you need to know in one place! All…Read More
Incredible Shark Feeding Frenzy!
Watch your feet! Hundreds of sharks swimming in and out of the surf in a feeding frenzy!Read More