After a breakout junior season, Steve Taylor has been picking up offers, and made two recent…
DePaul Team Camp Notes – Day 1
- Purnell got his first look at Class of 2014 point guard prospect Johnnie Vassar, who visited DePaul last week. The pass-first point guard teamed with DePaul commit Billy Garrett, Jr. in the backcourt for Morgan Park. Vassar certainly passed the eye test as he helped lead the Mustangs to two wins and lost the third game in sudden-death overtime.
- Garrett, Jr. was his usual self and played well. While he struggled to finish at times, Billy still found ways to score for Morgan Park.
- Class of 2012 forward Steve Taylor showed his versatility on the floor for the Simeon Wolverines scoring both inside and outside. He held his own in a matchup with the Indiana-bound Hanner Parea.
- Class of 2013 forward Russell Woods dominated the glass in the two games that we saw him play for Leo. It will be interesting to see how he stacks up against some of the other competition at the camp. Woods is hearing from DePaul, Illinois, Marquette, Tennessee, and Wisconsin.
- Class of 2013 guard Kyle Davis did well for Hyde Park. We also learned that Hyde Park is picking up a pair of transfers. Class of 2012 guard Derrick Randolph enrolled at Hyde Park by way of Phillips and Whitney Young High Schools. Hyde Park also picked up rising junior Moshown Thomas from Bogan.
- Sterling Brown (2013) appeared to have grown a few inches since the last time we saw him. Brown told us that he has yet to lose with Proviso East during the late spring and summer. Brown and his Pirates squad convincingly beat DeLaSalle this afternoon. Brown is getting interest from DePaul, Illinois and Michigan State.
- DeLaSalle's Alvin Ellis (2013) has really developed his perimeter game and was raining threes all over the court today.
- We got our first look at German import Gavin Schilling today. He is already hearing from schools like DePaul despite this being his first appearance with DeLaSalle.
- Tommy Hamilton, Jr. and Paul White both sat out with injuries for Whitney Young today.
- Rocco Belcaster, the younger brother of DePaul walkon Joe Belcaster, is a prospect with good size and shooting ability. He'll get some Division I interest.
- We saw a battle of class of 2014 guards when Erick Locke from Brooks faced off with Tevin King from Providence St. Mel.
- Class of 2014 big man Cliff Alexander was dominant. "He has great hands and can rebound," said Scout.com analyst Brian Snow. "Works to post, good looking prospect so far."
- 2013 big man Alex Foster was throwing it down for DeLaSalle today and played with a lot of energy.
- The DePaul coaches seemed to take an interest in La Lumiere big man Obij Aget. The seven-footer from Sudan is part of a huge frontcourt at La Lumiere.
- Former Blue Demon LeVar Seals worked the camp today. Seals told WeAreDePaul.com that he will not return to Romania next season. Seals is currently fielding offers from a number of European teams.
- All of the DePaul sophomores, juniors, and seniors turned out this morning to support Purnell's camp.
Stay tuned to WeAreDePaul.com for the very latest on the Blue Demons.
WeAreDePaul.com Recommended Stories
Odell Beckham makes catch of the year
Former LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham made what has to be the most incredible catch of the NFL season. Check out the highlight reel grab!Read More
College Week 13: 10 Saturday Takeaways
Breaking down all the battles that mattered this weekend.Read More
Defense Secretary Hagel Stepping Down
Breaking: Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is stepping down amidst growing concerns over U.S. handling of global unrest.Read More
5 NHL Teams with Tailgating Crazy Fans
When it comes to tailgating, football might be the first sport that comes to mind, but don’t underestimate hockey. The NHL has some of the most passionate fans in all of sports, and they don’t let up…Read More
Apache Administers Death to Taliban (VIDEO)
The Apache helicopter is one of the most famed and efficient killing machines in the U.S Army. Get the skinny on this 'steel dragon' and watch what one does to a platoon of Taliban fighters in…Read More